Vegan, Gluten-Free Pie Crust (vegan, gluten-free)
– 3 cups gluten-free baking flour blend* (King Arthur, Bob’s Red Mill, or see our favorite homemade blend below)
– 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
– 1 tsp gluten-free xanthan gum
– 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
– 1 cup vegan butter, cut into cubes (we used Miyokos Kitchen Vegan Butter – but it’s not nut free)
– 1/2 cup purified, cold water
– 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Sift together the flour blend, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Using a fork work in the cubes of vegan butter until butter is thoroughly mixed in. The dough will be crumbly. Add water and vinegar and stir together till a dough forms. Divide dough in half. Wrap up the dough and put in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. After chilling, roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Roll out 1/4 of the dough and roll into tart pans. Leave rest of dough in the fridge to keep it chilled while you are working with the 1st roll, etc. You only need 1/4 of this recipe to make 4 baby tarts. Bake tart shells at 350 degrees for 7 – 9 minutes and allow to cool.
– 1/2 cup vegan yogurt
– 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
– 2 Tbsp date sugar
– 1/4 tsp arrowroot powder
Fruit and Glaze:
Assorted fruits – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.
1/2 cup peach butter or other fruit preserve, jelly, or jam
2 Tbsp purified water
In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, and arrowroot powder until well blended. Spoon a small amount of the lemon yogurt to the base of each cooled tart pie shell crust. Refrigerate for an hour or two.
In a small saucepan, heat peach butter, jelly, jam or preserve with water. If there are any chunks pour the syrupy mixture through a sieve to create a smooth glaze.
Place the fruit on the tarts in the arrangement of your choice. Brush the fruit with the glaze. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Gingers and Spice Gluten-Free Baking Flour Blend
– 3 cups brown rice flour
– 2 cups sorghum flour
– 1 cup sweet white rice flour
– 1/2 cup potato starch
– 1/2 cup arrowroot powder